There was panic in the town after chlorine gas leaked from Panjab Alkalies and Chemicals Limited (PACL) early this morning. Residents of Jawahar Nagar Market area rushed out of their homes at about 5.30 am, complaining of suffocation and irritation in the eyes, Lovely Angra, a local panch, said. Pawan, another resident, said: " At about 6 am, I felt breathless and uneasy. I ran out of my house where I saw a large crowd already on the streets. Soon, we learnt that gas had leaked from the nearby plant."