Bottles can be toxic - Part II

In spite of the prohibition on the use of Bisphenol-A (BPA) in baby feeding bottles, the toxic chemical continues to be found in some baby products sold in the Indian market. BPA is an endocrine disrupting chemical that has been accepted as the chemical of concern globally. It is a toxic chemical known to mimic a hormone in the body which activates the progression of cancer and interferes with the development of the reproductive system. In children epidemiological studies there are correlations between BPA exposure and heart diseases, liver toxicity and metabolic syndrome (diabetes obesity). A study titled ‘BOTTLES CAN BE TOXIC - Part II’ released by environmental policy and advocacy organization, Toxics Link observed various levels of BPA in baby feeding bottles and sippy cups in samples collected from different parts of the country. This research report points at the failure in compliance of standards by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) set in IS 14625:2015 for plastic feeding bottles and accessories.

Related Content