Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding preventive and remedial action to stop unscientific rat hole mining, Meghalaya, 17/01/2020
Order of the National Green Tribunal in the matter of Threat to life arising out of coal mining in South Garo Hills district Vs State of Meghalaya & Others dated 17/01/2020 regarding unscientific rat hole mining in the state of Meghalaya - for preventive and remedial action. The committee appointed for the purpose submitted its 6th Interim Report dated December 3, 2019.
The recommendations of the committee among others included the following:
- Monitoring of illegal raising and transportation of coal by the Chief Secretary of the State, steps for punitive measures for illegal mining – filling up gaps in the regulatory regime
- action for preventing minimizing and mitigating environment pollution by acidic water from coal depots
- electronic recording of movement of coal including by way of GPS and RFID Tags and having a central server for the purpose
- drilling of bore holes in Khlihirt-Sutnga area in East Jaintia Hill District
- preparation of geological report and feasibility report for scientific coal mining
- compiling information about location of dumps of coal
- monitoring of illegal export of coal to Bangladesh by an independent agency
- adopting satellite surveillance systems.
The committee has been asked to submit its further action taken report after three months.